Cystoscopy is a procedure to see the inside of the bladder and urethra using a telescope. Cystoscopy is the use of a scope (cystoscope) to examine the bladder and urethra.
A cystoscopy can be used to investigate and treat symptoms and conditions that affect the bladder and urinary system. Cystoscope is also called as telescope.
Two types of Cystoscope
- Flexible Cystoscope
- Rigid Cystoscope
Reasons for Cystoscopy
- check for abnormalities in the bladder.
- Diagnose and evaluate urinary tract disorders.
- Diagnose the cause of repeated bladder infections.
- Help determine the cause of pain during urination.
- remove a sample of bladder tissue (Biopsy) for further testing in cases of suspected cancer.
- urinary blockage caused by prostate enlargementor some other abnormal narrowing of the urinary tract.
- Bladder stone removal.
- Remove foreign objects.
Procedure of Cystoscopy
A urologic surgeon, or urologist, performs cystoscopy. The procedure involves looking at the urinary tract from the inside. Abnormalities can be detected in this manner, and surgical procedures can be performed.
A flexible cystoscopy is usually carried out using a local anaesthetic . A rigid cystoscopy is usually carried out under general anaesthetic or spinal anaesthetic (epidural).
The procedure will take about take 5 - 25 minutes. The urethra is cleansed. This is done without needles. The scope is then inserted through the urethra into the bladder.
The procedure is more painful for men than for women due to the length and narrow diameter of the male urethra. Relaxing the pelvic muscles helps make this part of the test easier.
Water or salt water (saline) flows through the cystoscope for clear vision.
Post Procedural Care
Drink 4 - 6 glasses of water per day after your cystoscopy.
Holding a warm, damp washcloth over the urethral opening.
Taking a warm bath to relieve the burning feeling.
Cystourethroscopy, Endoscopy of the bladder.
We, Advin Urology, provide international quality standard products for Cystoscopy procedure.
- Intra Corporeal Pneumatic Lithotripter (with all standard accessories).
- Cystoscopy Sheath.
- Cystoscopy Bridge.
- Stone Punch SET (For Bladder Stone Removal).
- Stone Crushing Forcep (For Bladder Stone Removal).
- Lithobridge (For Bladder Stone Removal).
- Flexible Biopsy Forcep.
- Flexible Stent Removing Forcep.
- Flow Pump for continuous irrigation.
- LED Light Source.
- Fiber Optic Cable.